I am a busy bee.
Every day, I run around between classes, clubs, and two jobs. I love all that I do, but I also hate myself for committing to so much.
To keep myself sane (which is a very hard thing to do) I have to work very hard at finding balance.
Let’s get one thing straight:
Balance is key in college. You want to get good grades, make money, have a social life, and not go crazy while doing it.
I may have trouble with my balancing act sometimes, but here are the few rules I’ve found in an attempt to balance my life.
- Get shit done. Your homework. Your school project. Your work. Your cleaning. Make it a priority so you can relax and not worry about it later. Don’t doddle, just do it.
- Make time for yourself. Being productive is important, but you also need to take care of yourself. You can’t always be a little ball of stress and anxiety. Sometimes you need to be put on a face mask and watch your favorite movie while eating chicken nuggets with your friends and actually relax. Without your mental health, you are nothing. Taking time out of your day to watch your favorite Youtuber or even just to dance around while you do your makeup will be worth it.
- Make a list. It’s easier to get your stuff done and stay on top of things when you can visually see everything. Plus, it is so satisfying to check something off of your list.
- Show up. Go to your classes. Go to your meetings. Stay on top of things. If I miss something (usually because I’m lazy and want to nap), it throws off my whole day.
- TRY to eat healthy. I’m not saying go vegan, but maybe eat a piece of broccoli every now and then. Make a smoothie with spinach and avocado. Don’t eat a pack of chicken nuggets a day….that seems to be one of my major flaws.
- Work out. You don’t need to lift every day or spend three hours in the gym every time you go, but working out – even if it’s going for a walk – can help relieve stress. I love a good workout. It melts away the stress, makes me feel more confident, and helps me feel like my life is put together.
- Get up and get ready. I love getting an early start to my day, and I always feel my best when I love my outfit and makeup. Even if you just like throwing on mascara, starting your day and trying to look your best will make an impact.
- Sleep! Sleep is actually very good for your body and it is how your body resets. So many good things happen while you sleep and sleep is actually required to live. Try to get 8 hours of sleep… but I use the word try very lightly because life gets busy.
- Caffeinate. As much fun as it is to sleep, sometimes you just don’t have the time. Sometimes you just gotta take a double shot of espresso and push through that morning, mid-day, and late night slump. I love naps, but I just have to suck it up and save the sleep for my actual bedtime.
- Read the news. There is a lot going on out there in the real world, and sometimes, I get very caught up in my own little bubble. You may be busy and tired and stressed, but peek your head out every so often and put things in perspective.
These are a few tips that help me. Tell me what helps you keep your busy life on track and balance below!